Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Jesse Reid

Ideas surrounding transformation are recurrent themes throughout my work. I am fascinated in how temporal materials, including lighting, makeup, and decoration can transform bodies, hallways and nightclub into something strange or uncanny. Through my work I create a visual image or object in disjunction with quotidian representations of my subject: nightclubs are brightly light, rather than dark and sexy; soap is wet and dirty, rather than fresh and clean; unremarkable male bodies are superficially transformed into hyper-masculine models. There is an implication of queerness that plays an important role in the reading of my work, not only as a suggestion of strangeness or difference, but also in the work's relationship to sexual orientation.






For my friends in the Los Angeles area, Jesse's show opens this weekend:

Kaycee Olsen Gallery is pleased to announce Olly olly oxen free, a solo exhibition of new work by Los Angeles-based artist Jesse Finley Reed, from February 19th - March 26th, 2011.

At 5:30pm, Saturday, February 19th, the evening will commence with a 20-minute Artist Talk with Jesse Finley Reed and Kaycee Olsen, as part of the ongoing series "In Conversation with Kaycee Olsen". The Talk will focus on the details of Reed's work, particularly the intersection of photography and queer aesthetic.

No comments: